Thursday, February 28, 2008

Oh, Oscar...




Well... I thought it was about time I acknowledged that defining cornerstone of modern culture, the Oscars.

Before even mentioning the awards themselves, I would like to point out a couple of my favourite things about this year's Oscars:

a) not having to stay up until the early hours to see it through (thank you, Eastern Standard Time) and

b) actually having seen a fair number of the competing films (thank you Canada, for letting me in).

Despite low audience ratings, I actually loved this year's ceremony (possibly because I wasn't pinching myself to stay awake through the Best Sound Editing award at 3 am), and I think much of this was due to host Jon Stewart, quirkily hilarious presenter of The Daily Show, who managed to blend irreverent mocking humour with an appropriate (for the Oscars) dose of obsequious schmaltz.

This year's crop of Oscar outfits were collectively one of the best ever. A bit safe, perhaps, nothing much to look back on and mock, but you can't have it all, I suppose. My favourites were Cate Blanchett's purple Dries Van Noten (does that lady ever put a perfectly Louboutined foot wrong?) and Jennifer Garner's Oscar de la Renta. Classic black but very chic. And personally, I thought Diablo Cody's leopard print Dior suited her down to the ground (no pun intended) although it's probably not the best idea to wear a dress slit to the thigh when striding up to collect your award...

I wish there was more to say about the menswear. With the exception of Daniel Day Lewis and Johnny Depp, both of whom wore slight variations (adding brown!), was every man there wearing a black suit with a black tie? Snore. Personally, I always had this fantasy of accepting my Oscar wearing Topshop. However, if Chanel and Valentino were fighting over who got to dress me, I'm not sure I'd turn them down.

My favourite award win had to be Marketa Irglova and Glen Hansard for Best Original Song (from the film Once, go see it NOW) Thank God they beat out all those sappy Enchanted songs. And such a cute moment when Marketa was given the chance to make her acceptance speech...

And finally, kudos to all the women who made this year's nominees and winners lists. While the men picked up their quota of gold for a slew of psychotically gory movies, women took to the podium to collect nearly half of the awards, including Original Screenplay, Sound Editing, Best Original Song, Art Direction, Documentary Short, Makeup, Costume Design and Animated Short Film, alongside Best Actress and Supporting Actress. Good going, ladies!

No comments: